Monday, October 5, 2015

REFLECTIONS

I recently decided to take some time from my art in order to pursue other projects, but I find I am still working at it. I cannot seem to escape from it quite yet and I am puzzled, but not surprised. I suppose it is a bit like trying to quit smoking or some other habit that one has lived with for so long.

I have been editing quite a lot of images that I chose to rework and some that have not seen the light of day since being made. I have not created any new work but guess that it is just a matter of time before doing so.

I am currently putting together some exclusive 'folio' boxed sets of some of my work that I will offer on the website soon. I am having quite a lot of fun doing this because it allows me to look at my work in a different way - by association, rather than by date or time of creation. Each folio is of a specific location.

I have also been uploading quite a lot of my catalog to Getty Images. I have had a small amount of success from my association with them and currently have 4 images that will be used in some permanent displays in the near future. Nice to know that one's work hangs someplace where it is seen everyday by hundreds of visitors.

I recently deleted all posts from my Google+ page except for a 'goodbye' post. However, I am now a Moderator for the Intimate Landscape Scenes Community on G+. There you can see images that I have never shared before as well as a few that I have in the past that fit within this category of the genre. I do not know when I will return to posting on my main page but expect it will be in the Spring of 2016 - maybe ....

In looking back at my past work, I see a smooth transition from film to digital, then a softening of the latter towards a more artistic look. This was a conscious decision on my part about a year ago. I had tired of the 'look' I was achieving and made the decision to alter this 'look' to a softer more dreamy appearance. I also noticed a trend towards less intense color in many of my images.

All of this will undoubtedly continue and may even become even more noticeable in future works. But for now, I will wait and see what happens when I return from my self imposed sabbatical.





*** My website will be down for 'CONSTRUCTION' beginning Thursday, October 8, 2015 for some updates and rework with an expected relaunch around October 15 ***
 

If you wish to follow this blog in the future, please sign up to the right where it says 'Follow By Email' or send me a note and I will add you to the email list.

tgwholo@gmail.com 

Until next time ...  

6 comments:

  1. Congratulation!!! Wow!!! 4 images will be permanently on display to the public...That's something...
    Art has became part of us, part of who we are, part of our daily life...and as how you described it: we cannot seem to escape from it. My days seem dull without art...no aesthetic quality...
    Glad to see you can't escape from it Thomas =)
    Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! Occasionally we get lucky and something like this happens. The prints will be hung sometime in December after the renovation of the building is complete.

      It is difficult to walk away from it. I had thought I would be able to do so and concentrate on some other things I had been wanting to pursue, but apparently it is not to be LOL! So I spend a few hours a day at it and my other projects the remainder of the time. I am trying to balance the two so that one does not dominate the other. No art makes one a dull person indeed my friend.

      As always, I so appreciate your lovely comments and wish you all the best as well in whatever you pursue :)

      Delete
  2. Self imposed sabbatical? We all need one from time to time, but I'm glad you're still casually posting and writing. You had recently become one of the artists I watched and admired. You write, "I cannot seem to escape it..." But, Pearl S. Buck writes, “The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive...add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create -- so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating.” This has become my mantra, perhaps it may resonate with you. I look forward to seeing what creative visions you'll share with us in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great comment Shirlee! I was not aware of this quote from Pearl but I found it did indeed resonate with me. Thank you so much for sharing and for your kind words concerning my art. I wish you a great evening. If you would like, send me your email address and I will add you to the list to receive future editions of this journal :)

      Delete